The Bachelor of Design Studies will enable you to develop knowledge and critical analysis skills relevant to contemporary design concepts and practice. Areas of study include theories and methods of design, skills development, including drawing and model-making, development of conceptual skills, design project management and studios, and applied design in workplace and social contexts.
Upon the successful completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Critically review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge from the history of design, and adapt this knowledge to diverse social, ethical and cultural contexts.
- Critically review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge of diverse design theories, concepts and approaches, and adapt this knowledge to local and international contexts.
- Exercise critical thinking and judgment when evaluating products, outputs and outcomes of design activity in multiple disciplines in a range of media.
- Apply advanced visualisation and representation skills (including use of drawing, modelling and colour) to support design practice.
- Apply core technical skills and emerging design knowledge, skills and technologies, both independently and collaboratively, to enable further learning and professional practice.
- Exercise creativity, critical thinking and independent judgment to identify and solve real-world design challenges, and define and communicate innovative solutions.
- Apply planning, problem-solving and decision-making skills to the end-to-end design process.
- Develop responsibility and accountability for development of a personal design practice that demonstrates an original, ethical, innovative and professional approach to design.
Digitalisation and a rapidly changing market are demanding a new breed of designers, and career opportunities include:
- graphic design;
- 3D concept and modelling;
- illustration and digital imaging;
- creative direction;
- 2D motion graphics design.
When you successfully complete this program, you may be eligible for entry into an RMIT honours or postgraduate program in Vietnam and Australia.