Vietnamese Government requirements

Vietnamese Government requirements


Documents required - Vietnamese employees

If successful in being offered a role at RMIT VIetnam, Vietnamese employees will be asked to provide the following:

  • copy of relevant tertiary qualifications or relevant certificates
  • evidence of English Language Proficiency, relevant to the role (we can help you with this if required)
  • a copy of your identity card
  • a copy of your residence book
  • your social insurance number (upon commencement)


Documents required - foreign employees

RMIT University Vietnam complies with the Vietnamese government in all respects in regards to work permits, visas, and other Vietnamese laws, regulations and decrees.

Immigration law is very strict in Vietnam. Foreign staff are required to obtain a valid Vietnamese Work Permit, prior to starting work. If you are offered a role at RMIT Vietnam, we will support you to obtain a work permit. If you are considering applying for a role at RMIT Vietnam, please ensure you will be able to provide the following documents, if you are successful.

The following summarises the minimum requirements. Depending on your role or circumstances, you may need to provide extra information and this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

  • Qualifications: Your highest qualification and/or the qualification relevant to your role. 
  • Statement(s) of service: Evidence of at least three (3) years working experience in your field of expertise, which must relate to the position you are applying for. These must be issued as certificates or statements of service from your employer(s) and must be on official company letter-head, and signed by someone with relevant authority/seniority. We can help you with an example.
  • Criminal History Check - from your country of residence: This process can take a long time, depending on where you live, so we recommended applying for this as soon as possible. For residents of the USA, a state police check is required (not FBI). If you are living in a country different to the country of your passport, you may also need a police report from that location. 
  • Criminal History Check - Vietnam: Required if you have lived or stayed in Vietnam for more than 30 days. This can take between 4 and 6 weeks. We can provide you with instructions on how to obtain this, if required. 
  • Work permit medical check: You will be required to undertake a medical check as per requirements issued by Vietnamese authorities. We will provide you with the instructions and template for this. The work permit medical check involves a basic physical examination, and some blood and urine tests.
  • Passport: A full certified copy of all pages of your passport.
  • Passport photos: You will need a variety of passport photos, minimum of four 4 x 6cm photos and four 2 x 3cm photos. We recommend obtaining a digital version of your passport photo for future use in Vietnam. Passport photos must be in colour, on a white background, without glasses or facial cover, and with your shoulders covered.


Notarisation and legalisation 

All documents listed above (except for the passport photos and Vietnamese Criminal History Check) must be notarised and legalised.

What is notarisation?

Notarisation is a form of legal certification in which a Notary Public authenticates by their signature and official seal that a document or a signature is authentic or a true copy. This must be performed by a Notary Public, not a lawyer or justice of the peace.

What is legalisation?

Also referred to as consularisation or authentication, legalisation is the official attestation of the origins of a document by an embassy or consulate. This function is normally conducted by a government department such as a Department of Foreign Affairs or country equivalent (i.e. US Department of State).

Different countries have different entities to perform these functions. We recommend you seek the services of your Department of Foreign Affairs or equivalent, who will be well versed in the requirements of foreign employment and will be able to offer you advice if required. It is also important to note that the Vietnamese Government has specific requirements on document notarisation and legalisation depending on the country in which the document produced.

While this may sound daunting, RMIT Vietnam will advise you of these requirements at the time you are advised you are the preferred candidate.

We will continue to support any visa, work permit, or resident permit needs you have throughout your employment, to ensure RMIT Vietnam and you remain compliant. We will cover reasonable costs associated with this.

Entry visa

When you have obtained a Work Permit, we will help you get a Business Visa, which will allow you to enter the country. If you are already in Vietnam on a different type of Visa, you may need to exit and then re-enter the country.

Temporary residence card

Once you have obtained a Work Permit and have been working at RMIT Vietnam, you will be eligible for a 'temporary residence card'. RMIT Vietnam will support you in this application. Your temporary residence card acts the same as a visa, allowing you to leave and re-enter the country without re-applying for a visa each time. We will cover reasonable costs associated with this.

If you are supporting a spouse or dependents, we can also help you to apply for residence cards for them throughout your employment, from an administrative perspective. However, the costs will not be covered by RMIT Vietnam.

Family members

If you intend to come to Vietnam with family, you will require extra documentation. This may include your marriage certificate, birth certificates of your children, passports, and passport photos.

RMIT Vietnam will help you with bringing your family members to Vietnam, from an administrative perspective. However, the costs will not be covered by RMIT Vietnam.

Non-native English speakers

If English is not your first language, you will also need to provide evidence of English Language Proficiency, relevant to the role (there are a variety of forms of evidence, and we can help you with this if required).

Foreigners already in Vietnam

If you are a foreigner already in Vietnam, there may be additional requirements to obtain your Work Permit, Visa, or Residence Card – including copies of any existing Work Permits you hold in Vietnam.

We can discuss these with you on a case-by-case basis.