Vietnam visa information for international students
1. Entry Visa Procedures
For international students who are currently in their home country, and have been enrolled at RMIT Vietnam to study:
- Provide a copy of passport
- Other supporting documents (arranged by RMIT)
- Applicants are required to pay the tuition fees for the forthcoming semester. A proof of payment is required.
RMIT Vietnam will send you the soft copy of the approval correspondence from the Vietnamese Immigration Department. You will submit it together with your visa application form, original passport, and visa payment. You will then be required to collect your visa at the Vietnamese Embassy in your home country.
In case there is no Vietnamese government office in your country, it’s important to inform us as soon as possible so we can organise for your pre-visa approval letter to indicate the location on arrival in Vietnam where you can collect and pay for your student visa.
As of June 1, 2016, the fees you can expect to pay are below:
- 35 USD for 3 month single entry visa
- 60 USD for 3 month multiple entry
- 105 USD from 3-6 month multiple entry
- 145 USD from 6 month to one year multiple entry
Important note: International students must have a student visa and comply with the visa conditions to study at RMIT Vietnam. If you are on a different type of visa, you may be required to leave Vietnam in order to apply for a student visa. Download the Flow Chart of the Entry Visa Procedure.
2. Extension of Stay Permits and Renewal Procedures
For international students currently living in Vietnam and undertaking/will undertake study at RMIT Vietnam and would like RMIT Vietnam to be their visa sponsor.
Important note: International students must have a student visa and comply with the visa conditions to study at RMIT Vietnam. If you are on a different type of visa, you may be required to leave Vietnam in order to apply for a student visa.
2.1. What to submit?
- NA5 form and fill in parts 1 and 3
- Original passport
- Original residence certification
- 1 x Photo 4 x 6 cm with white background, no glasses, business attire
- Pay visa fee
2.2. When to submit?
All required documents need to be submitted to RMIT Connect 14 days prior to the expiry date of your current visa.
If you are an English student close to completion of the current level, you are required to pay the tuition fees for the next level of study in advance of submitting your visa renewal documentations. Please contact RMIT Connect to know the exact amount you have to pay.
2.3. How much does it cost?
You are responsible for the visa fee (payable in Vietnam Dong with the exchange rate at the time of settling the payment). This fee is to be paid to RMIT Connect when you submit your passport. A receipt issued by the Immigration Office will be returned to you later.
- Extension of stay permit: 10 USD
- Length of extension: 3 months
- 3 month single entry visa: 35 USD
- 3 month multiple entry visa: 60 USD
- 3-6 month multiple entry visa: 105 USD
- 6 month to one year multiple entry visa: 145 USD
3. Overdue visas
- Within the first 2 days of the visa expiry date, a new visa should be granted without penalties.
- If more than 3 days have elapsed since the visa expiry date, you will be required to write an explanation letter in addition to submitting any required documents for visa renewal. You will also be required to accompany the Student Admin Officer to the Immigration Office to submit the visa application.
- Fines for overdue visas: 500,000 – 5,000,000VND (depending on case).
For more information and support, please contact RMIT Connect via RMIT Connect Online Portal.
4. Visa exemptions
Citizens from some countries are exempt from requiring visas to enter Vietnam. However, before the exemption date has expired, students must leave the country and re-enter in order to collect a study visa arranged by RMIT University Vietnam.
More information on visa exemptions can be found here