University staff is available at reception, 24 hours a day, 7 days per week to assist and care for occupants. Accommodation Officers are available from 7am – 10pm daily and security officers from 10pm – 7am daily.
Senior residents provide leadership and mentorship to registered occupants of the Residential Centre. Each senior resident has been selected on the basis that they passionately committed to developing and fostering a strong residential community, have proven leadership skills and an interest in people. The roles and responsibilities of senior residents are:
- Connect with and support every registered occupant on their allocated floor.
- Promote a sense of collegiality, a sense of family on their allocated floor by organising activities, bringing new students and supporting them through the period of transition. Develop events and activities to deliver on this responsibility.
- Encourage students on their floor to participate in social activity programs conducted within the facility on a regular basis.
- Monitor the emotional well being of all residents on their allocated floor, elevating any issues of concern to the management team.
- Monitor the behaviour and condition of their allocated accommodation floor, addressing any issues of non compliance and calling for the assistance of the management team as required.
- Assume the role of floor warden in the event of a fire, emergency evacuation or critical incident.
- Meet with the management team on a regular basis to share ideas and information.
Students can connect to the University wireless internet network from their bedrooms and are required to abide by the conditions of the University IT Acceptable Use Policy and Guidelines. In addition to the wireless internet connection the Residential Centre provides occupants with the convenience of a wireless connection to a printer located in the printing lab on the level one. Standard usage and printing costs apply.
For those students who want a non restricted internet connection, the University suggests that students purchase a 3G USB portable connection.
Reading rooms are provided on every accommodation level and situated outside the lift lobby and next to the kitchens. The reading room offers registered occupants an area to gather with other registered occupants of the same floor to talk, read and study.
Food Preparation Kitchens
Kitchens are provided on every accommodation level for the exclusive use of students allocated to that floor. Each kitchen comes equipped with a four burner electric stove top, refrigerator, with freezer unit, a rice cooker, kettle and microwave oven.
Students are invited to purchase their own crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils. These items and dry food stock can be locked away in the lockers provided in each kitchen. Perishable food items should be labelled and safely and hygienically stored in the refrigerator unit supplied.
A dining table and chairs is also provided in each kitchen to provide students with a comfortable place to eat and drink in the company of other residents on your accommodation floor as an alternative to dining in your apartment.
The printing lab is situated on level one opposite reception and is provided for the exclusive use of residents. The lab provides access to the following facilities:
- Computers with internet access.
- Printer without scanner ( wireless network connection )
Two built in language lab workstations with computer and headsets designed to meet the study needs of English Language students in residence.
The recreation room is provided for the peaceful comfort and recreation of registered occupants, and visitors of the Residential Centre. The recreation room offers:
- Lounge settings, including coffee tables.
- Pool table.
- Board games and chess board.
- Television with free to air and cable television.
- Bi-fold doors allow access out onto the external courtyard providing several outdoor settings and a BBQ.
The recreation room is the allocated visitor’s space. Residents are required to register visitors at the reception desk and are permitted to entertain them in the recreation room.
The laundry room provides free washing, drying and ironing facilities for the exclusive use of residents. As an environmentally friendly alternative to drying clothes in the laundry room students also have the option of drying clothes on the outdoor clotheslines provided in the external courtyard.