FAQs about living in Vietnam

FAQs about living in Vietnam

Student Visa

How do I apply for my visa?

For international or study abroad students who are currently in their home country, have been enrolled at RMIT Vietnam, and will come to Vietnam to study:

a) Provide a copy of passport

b) Other supported documents

c) Applicants are required to pay the tuition fees of the forthcoming semester. A proof of payment is requested.

RMIT Vietnam will send you the soft copy of the approval correspondence from the Vietnamese Immigration Department. You will collect your visa at the Vietnamese Embassy in your home country and pay the visa fee.

In case there is no Vietnamese government office in your country, you will show the approval correspondence to the Customs officials on your arrival in Vietnam to collect your visa and pay:

  • 45USD for 3-month single entry visa
  • 95USD for 3-month multiple entry visa (recommended)

Important note: Applications for visas/ visa renewals, replacements or modifications, and extension of stay permits for Nigerian students need to be arranged by their companies in Vietnam not by RMIT Vietnam.

If you apply via an RMIT representative, please contact your agent for further detail.

How do I get my eCOE?

If you are commencing a new program, you will receive your eCOE after you have accepted your offer and paid the requested deposit. If you are a current student who needs to extend your program duration and apply for a new student visa, you need to apply for your eCOE through RMIT International. The form and instructions are available at the Visa renewal process webpage.

If you apply via an RMIT representative, please contact your agent for further detail.

Will I get my visa fee back if my visa is rejected?

Yes, if enough evidence is provided. Please refer to the RMIT refund policy for international students.

If I am under 18 years of age, will I be permitted to study in RMIT Vietnam?

According to the Selections and Admissions procedure,

In order to be eligible for admission, an applicant must reach at least 16 years of age as at the commencement date of the program in which they will enrol as a student if their application is successful.

If an applicant does not meet the minimum age requirement, the Dean/ Head of School responsible for the program may provide written permission to offer the applicant a place in the program.

What do I do if I change my address?

If you haven’t enrolled, please send an email to admissions@rmit.edu.vn to advise your new address.

If you have already enrolled, a Change of Personal Information form is required. This form is available on RMIT VN Intranet or you can request the form by emailing student.services@rmit.edu.vn to Student Services Helpdesk.

Can I enrol into any program at RMIT Vietnam University?

You must enrol into the program that you indicated in the application form. If you wish to change program before enrolment, a new application form is required, which will go through the usual selection process.

If you apply via an RMIT representative, please contact your agent for further detail.

Can I change my program after I have enrolled at RMIT Vietnam University?

After you have enrolled, you need to study at least one semester in the program before lodging an Application to Change program.

Can I leave RMIT Vietnam and change to another education institution?

If you decide to leave RMIT Vietnam before you have enrolled, please send an email to admissions@rmit.edu.vn to advise of your decision.

If you decide to leave RMIT Vietnam after you have enrolled, a cancellation form is required. This form is available on the RMIT VN Intranet or you can request the form by emailing student.services@rmit.edu.vn.

Note that the tuition fee deposit is non-refundable. You will also be liable for tuition and administration fees if the cancellation form is submitted after the Census Date.

You are advised to check the academic calendar for correct dates.

If you apply via an RMIT representative, please contact your agent for further detail.

Back to top

Living in Vietnam

Can RMIT pick me up from the airport?

RMIT Vietnam offers a complimentary Airport Pick Up Service for all study abroad and exchange students arriving in Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi for the first time. Students will be welcomed by a university's representative at Tan Son Nhat International Airport or Noi Bai International Airport and transported directly to their accommodation destination.

How do I find accommodation?

In Saigon South Campus, we have international standard student accommodation for over 100 students on campus. Managed by our professionally trained, friendly residential management team, on site 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, the Residential Centre offers a variety of living environments, ranging from single studio to multi share accommodation in three and five bedroom apartments. All apartments are fully furnished and air-conditioned. Bedrooms come with an in-room safety deposit box, wireless connectivity to the University’s intranet, and a locally based printer.  All details related to on-campus student accommodation can be found here.

Recommendations for other accommodation options including homestay and off-campus housing are still under development, more details are to be updated on the university's website as soon as they are available.

What will living costs in Vietnam be?

Cost of living can vary depending on the types of expenses, the number of people living in the accommodation and the location.

Cost for a shared accommodation for two to three people per month


$450-$700 District 7/Phu My Hung (close proximity to campus, roughly 8-minute drive)

$650-$900 District 1 (close proximity to central downtown, roughly 15-20 minute drive from campus)

Rental Bond

2-month rent

Bills (electricity and water)


Mobile phone

$10 including data (per phone)


$15-$20 (varied by Internet Service Providers and plans)



Transport costs

$40-$60 per motorbike

$12-$15 for public buses

* Costs based on current exchange students’ accommodation and housing advertisements available in 2014.

Do the tuition fees include books, accommodation etc?

Textbook Rental: Textbook rental fees are included in the Tuition Fees. The deadline for returning textbooks is close of business on the Friday of the last week of exams. Students having textbooks overdue for more than one week, or textbooks that are damaged, will be charged for replacement of the textbook. Students will not be issued new textbooks until past fines and replacement fees have been paid.

Accommodation: is not including in the tuition fees.

What special help is there for international students?

  • RMIT International provides help and advice on health insurance, obtaining your visa, airport pickup, accommodation and program information.

  • Student Wellbeing Advisory Service provides support and advice for international students.

  • International students are provided with information to help them before they arrive.

  • Faculty and department student advisers provide information, advice and assistance. They can also help you get in touch with other international students.

  • Check online for more information about RMIT Vietnam support and services.

Where are classes held?

RMIT Vietnam has campuses in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi Capital. To check which campuses the program you wish to study will be held at, please visit the Programs page.

How are coursework programs delivered?

All RMIT Vietnam University lectures and classes are taught in English. Depending on the subject, classes may be taught in a combination of lectures or seminars, tutorials (discussion groups), and practical/laboratory sessions. Assessment of students’ work may include written assignments, seminar presentations, design folios and examinations. The number of class hours varies between each program. Generally classes are held during the day with some programs, particularly at postgraduate level, held in the evening.

When will I get my student ID card?

The card will be issued to you by The Student Service Help Desk once you have enrolled.

Can I work during my studies?

If you are not a Vietnamese Resident you will usually require a Work Permit to work in Vietnam.  It is up to the individual employer to advise you on this matter.

Can my dependents work while I am studying in Vietnam?

If they are not a Vietnamese Resident they will usually require a Work Permit to work in Vietnam. It is up to the individual employer to advise you on this matter.

Do I need a tax file number and how do I apply for one?

You will need a tax file number if you work - usually your employer will assist/advise you on how to do this/or obtain one for you with your first job.

Can I work in Vietnam after I complete my program?*

If you have a Work Permit

Does RMIT provide childcare facilities?*


Is my child able to attend School in Vietnam while I am studying at RMIT Vietnam?* 

Yes - but subject to the individual school's acceptance of the child.

Where can I get more information?

If you have more questions about becoming an international student at RMIT, contact us at international@rmit.edu.vn

Back to top

Working in Vietnam

Can I work in Vietnam while I am studying?

Employment in Vietnam for international student: According to Decree 34/2008/NĐ-CP, section 20.1, non-Vietnamese students are permitted to work in Vietnam. They are not required to have a work permit to work. It's employers who have responsibility to arrange necessary documents and report to Vietnamese government of their non-Vietnamese employees. You can also refer students to legal normative documents page for their information.

Back to top