- RMIT Saigon South
- RMIT Hanoi City
Bring your passion and creativity to RMIT and become a successful design professional who can make a difference.
This program provides a firm grounding in the field of design for anyone who is serious about pursuing a creative career. A foundational year in design education is followed by a year of specialisation and experimentation. The program culminates in project work, giving you the chance to develop a portfolio to impress future employers. As a multidisciplinary program, you will have the choice to specialise in two of the following streams – graphics and visual communication, illustration and digital imaging, 3D concepts in interiors and exteriors, fashion design and mixed reality. Each specialisation has three learning components – theory, skills and studio project work. The first five semesters are delivered in block mode, meaning you will study courses sequentially in an intensive format.
Design will become a growing priority in consumer and enterprise companies, and professionals in this field will be highly sought after.
Ref: Robert Walters salary survey 2017 (Vietnam)
Demand for qualified design professionals in Vietnam already far exceeds supply. Digitalisation and a rapidly changing market are demanding a new breed of designers, and career opportunities include:
- graphic design;
- multimedia and animation;
- fashion design;
- 3D concept and modelling;
- fllustration and digital imager;
- creative direction;
- motion graphics designer;
- mixed reality design.
- Graphics & Visual Communication
- Illustration & Digital Imaging
- 3D Concepts
- Mixed Reality
Each specialisation has three learning components: theory, skills, and project work.
Graphics & Visual Communication: Engage with all areas of graphic design - from idea generation and development, to communicating the end product to your clients.
Illustration & Imaging: Develop digital drawing skills; learn theories, and generate ideas to produce high-end digital imaging.
3D Concepts: Explore spatial ideas and creative practice using sketch, modelling and computer software to draw, design and create. Design for different environments including interiors, exteriors, public spaces, and more.
Mixed Reality: Develop projects using the latest digital media such as AR (augmented reality) and VR (virtual reality), while discovering and utilising evolving technologies.
Fashion: Learn the fundamentals of fashion design - idea creation, experimentation with fabrics and form, and production. Develop hands-on skills, and become an expert in fashion branding.
The Bachelor of Design Studies places strong emphasis on collaborative learning approaches through design studios, workshops and workplace learning. Your final year project will creatively demonstrate, through design, an ethical approach and innovative outcomes to topics affecting Vietnam, such as social and environmental sustainability, and economic change.
Assessment methods include creative responses to design briefs, design projects, research, group presentations, essays, and examinations.
RMIT Design students enjoy modern teaching spaces with access to audio and video production studios, design-enabled computer labs, 3D printing resources and one of the best English language libraries for design in Southeast Asia. You will also be given the opportunity to explore a range of new and emerging design technologies in the fields of AR (augmented reality) and VR (virtual reality).
You can study for one or two semesters in RMIT Melbourne (in your second year) or at one of our 200+ partner universities worldwide.
- High school graduation diploma with a minimum GPA of 7.0/10.0 for Grade 12, for other international qualifications please view entry requirements by country ; or
- Successfully complete the UniSTART (Design Studies) with a minimum GPA of 1.0/4.0 with no double fail of a course; or
- If you have completed or partially completed a similar program at another institution you may be accepted with some academic credit, or exemptions, being granted toward this program.
Successfully complete RMIT English Advanced or complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic) 6.5+ (no band below 6.0)
- TOEFL iBT 79+ (with minimum score of 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) 58+ (no communication band below 50)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) or Proficiency (CPE) 176+ (no band below 169)
For other international English entry requirements, please view English equivalency requirements.
Note: TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson and Cambridge results are recognised for two years from the test date. RMIT English results are recognised for one year from the test date.
Please contact the RMIT Vietnam Student Recruitment team for more information.
Students can choose standard fee or fixed fee program. Payments can be made each semester, on a course-by-course basis.
Standard tuition fee 2019
- Annual tuition fee: 11,589 USD ~ 277,920,000 VND (based on full time study load - 8 courses)
- Whole program fee: 34,769 USD ~ 833,760,000 VND (22 courses - 288 credits)
Fixed fee 2019
- Annual tuition fee*: 12,387 USD ~ 297,043,000 VND (based on full time study load - 8 courses)
- Whole program fee*: 37,161 USD ~ 891,130,000 VND (22 courses - 288 credits)
(*) Fixed Fees are offered to brand new students who would like to fix their course tuition fees for a specified period of a Higher Education degree program. The fixed fee program guards against potential fee increases and currency fluctuations. All fees noted above with * are fixed fees, and are correct for 2019.
- The duration of programs is flexible and can be adapted on an individual basis upon enrolment.
- Program fees are priced and invoiced in Vietnam Dong (VND).
- Payment in other currencies will be converted to VND at the exchange rate on that day. Bank transfer is the preferred method of payment.
- The fees in USD are ONLY applicable to those international students who arrange for payment from overseas, as per Circular No. 32/2013/TT-NHNN.
“RMIT’s design students are creative and passionate. Our new program builds on these skills to ensure our students develop the technical ability, confidence and professionalism needed for a successful career in design.
We teach our students to be ethical and flexible professionals who can produce innovative design outcomes for their clients, and become future leaders in their field.”
Acting Program Manager, Design Studies
"I chose Design Studies because I wanted to do something creative and I believed it offered a lot of incredible experiences. I have done some wonderful class activities, such as having to eat something and then draw its taste, making models and taking photos around Saigon. We’ve also learnt how to create old Saigon signs by spray. I had never realised how beautiful Saigon is until I studied Design Studies. The program gives me a chance to explore myself and other people. My lecturers are always willing to help me with everything I need."