Our heritage

Our heritage

RMIT Melbourne
RMIT Vietnam - Saigon South Campus

A brief history of RMIT University (Melbourne)

  • Establishment of the Working Man’s College in Melbourne, Australia (1887)
  • Working Man’s College becomes Melbourne Technical College (1934)
  • “Royal” status granted to title (1954)
  • College becomes Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) (1960)
  • RMIT granted university status, becoming RMIT University (1992)

A brief history of RMIT Vietnam

  • RMIT University invited to establish Vietnam’s first international university campus (1998)
  • RMIT International University Vietnam established (2000)
  • First teaching in Ho Chi Minh City commences at 21 Pham Ngoc Thach Street, District 1 (2001)
  • First teaching in Hanoi commences at 2/2C Van Phuc Diplomatic Compound, Kim Ma Street, Ba Dinh District (2004)
  • New purpose-built university campus begins operations at Saigon South (2005)
  • Second building opened for Hanoi campus at 18A Ngo Tat To Street, Dong Da District to deal with rapid growth in student population (2007)
  • Building works completed at Saigon South to add additional (fifth) floor of teaching space and offices (2008)
  • Opening of new premises for Hanoi campus at Handi Resco Building, 521 Kim Ma, Ba Dinh District (2010).
  • Opening of international standard Recreation and Events complex (2010) and Residential Centre (2011) at Saigon South campus. 
  • Student population passes 6,000 on both campuses (2011)
  • Close to 4,000 graduates in total graduated from both Saigon South and Hanoi campuses (2011)
  • Cumulative total of more than 594 scholarships (2011) given for free tuition and other support since opening of RMIT Vietnam.

 

Modern learning space, leading-edge technology and library facilities.