RMIT Vietnam NewsRMIT Vietnam takes action to curtail H1N1 influenza - second H1N1 bulletin

RMIT Vietnam takes action to curtail H1N1 influenza - second H1N1 bulletin

Thursday, July 23, 2009 - 10:23

In response to a small outbreak of H1N1 influenza on its HCMC Campus RMIT International University Vietnam has decided to close down its operations at Saigon South until at least Monday 27 July inclusive.

RMIT Vietnam's President, Professor Merilyn Liddell, announced the measure today following confirmation that some students and at least one staff member had been diagnosed this week with the condition.

"We have been working closely with health authorities this week to determine how best to deal with this small outbreak. Our greatest concern has been to ensure proper care for those affected, and at same time to minimise the risk of any further spread of this flu amongst students or staff," Professor Liddell said.

"At this stage we have not been asked by the authorities to close down the campus, but we have decided to take this step ourselves as a prudent precautionary measure."

Professor Liddell said the university placed the highest priority on the health and safety of its students and staff, and for this reason had decided it would be prudent to have a short closure of the campus to allow a better opportunity to fully assess the situation.

"We hope there will be few, if any, further incidences of H1N1 among any of our students or staff – and we want to do everything we can to improve the chances of this outcome. A short closure will improve our level of confidence that the outbreak has indeed been contained amongst a very small number of individuals."

Professor Liddell said staff and students were all being contacted by email and in some cases by telephone today to inform them of the closure, as at the end of afternoon classes Thursday 24 July, and to provide them with other specific information they need.

Students and staff were being advised to check the university's website http://www.rmit.edu.vn and their email addresses, each day for continuing updates on the situation.

"We hope we may be fully operational again next week, but this is a matter that can only be judged with certainty over the coming two to three days."